Hello Everyone!
So this week didn't quite go as well. Almost every day ended up in appointments cancelled last minute and struggles to find productive things to fill that time. But it did lead us to meeting some cool people on the street, and we know the moment we lose faith, is the moment we will truly faith, and as President says all the time, faith is in the doing, not in the results, so that what we've been doing--faith AND work(s).
Wednesday English class did go really well, we had a 4th of July party and it was a hit. I taught the kids about the history of the fourth of July. Then we had a parade because it's better to have them running around in an orderly line than just bouncing off the walls. Then we sang Karaoke of classics like the national anthem, party in the USA, and "God bless the USA(proud to be an American)". That didn't go so well because they had never heard the songs before, but it was ok. Then we had some barbecue flavored Doritos, fruit, and cookies, the members we invited chatted with all the parents, and lastly I taught everyone to dance the Cotton Eyed Joe. Taiwanese people go crazy for that haha. Asking members to post about it with the English class website link and also just personally invite friends led to finding two potential families! They need a little more time before they'll be willing to meet with us, but they had a great first impression and will probably continue to come to English class, and also they are both friends with several members, so they will be ready eventually.
One of our friends with a baptismal date disappeared last week, and we didn't know what happened to him. Then I wanted to go buy food at the morning market today, so we went and we saw him there! He actually got a job, which was good. He's still good to meet. He was not keeping the word of wisdom though, which made us a little DEVASTATED(as it says we should when our friends don't keep commitments in Preach my Gospel) but he just needs some strengthening. We'll have to move his date since now he doesn't have every Sunday off. It's better than having no work like he did before though.
This week I have loved thinking about the first 5 chapters of Acts and what the apostles went through to establish the church. I was really impressed by how much it talks about the Holy Ghost. After Christ left and His followers were then able to receive the gift of the Holy Ghost after baptism, His apostles seemed to become totally different people. And they did amazing things in His name, with His power and authority. I'm grateful we have that power on the earth again, as passed from Jesus Christ to Peter, James, and John, and then later to Joseph Smith at the beginning of the "restitution of all things"(Acts 3). I'm grateful we can have the Holy Ghost always with us to guide and comfort us. That has been so essential to me on my mission, though I'm still trying to learn to recognize His voice and always be worthy of His companionship.
Well, that's all I have time for, we went to the Zoo today and it took up a lot of time, so I hope you all have a great week, and learn how to listen to and feel Him a little more while you're at it! 加油 Jiayou!
Love
Elder Ogden
PS: Our friend Sean has had to move his baptism because his mom still wants to understand more about the church before she agrees to him being baptized, so please pray her heart will be touched as she feels his desire and love for the gospel!
No comments:
Post a Comment