Thursday, June 28, 2018

Happy 19th Birthday, Elder Ogden!

Missionary Mom Des here:

Today is Elder Ogden's 19th birthday!  (Well, if we are being technical, his birthday where he is, is practically over since it's 10 pm at night when I am writing this...) . But, that's okay!  It's June 28th where I am, and I plan to celebrate this young man today, even though he is halfway across the world. :)

"We found a gelato place.  Birthday made (a day early)."
You know I am a sucker for any picture of Elder Ogden I see, but this one was particularly sweet for me.  The joy on his face, healed a heart that misses him, and was sad that he did not receive the birthday package we sent him.

Long Story Short

  1. I mailed his package in May.
  2. I followed the tracking number...said his package was delivered on May 23rd.
  3. Since he is a couple hours from the mission home, he doesn't receive packages right when they arrive, so I didn't worry.
  4. Two weeks ago...he says that the package was not at the mission home when he checked there.
  5. (Confused look on my face).  But, it says it was delivered on May 23rd!  It has to be there!
  6. He does some sleuthing in all of his "spare" time.
  7. Still no package.
  8. Where is this package that says it was delivered?
  9. Mom does some sleuthing.
  10. Mom discovers that when the mail center typed in the address to print the label, they left out a very important number...the building number on a street that has a lot of buildings.
  11. Mom is sick to her stomach.
  12. Mom does a Google Map search of the address and discovers that the package was delivered to a totally different building, down the street from the mission home.
  13. Mom realizes that Elder Ogden will probably never receive his birthday package.
  14. And this was the medium version of this story, not the short version.  
So, no birthday package for Elder Ogden.  At least, not on his birthday.  He will get another one soon.  I just hope that whomever opened his package was able to enjoy the contents.  Maybe they were having a bad day and that package brightened it.  I sure hope that's the case anyway.


So...you can see why seeing this smiling face, eating delicious gelato, makes my missionary mom heart happy. 

I'm sure he's a little bummed that he didn't get the package, but in the grand scheme of things...it's just stuff.  He knows that we love him, and that's what matters.  More importantly, he knows that God loves him and that His Savior loves him, and that makes my heart explode with happiness.

So a very happy birthday to this amazing man. (My son is a man.  That's weird.) Even though I will not see him in person for the whole 19th year of his life, (insert tears) I wouldn't change it for the world.  He is teaching people that they have a Heavenly Father who loves them.  He is teaching people that they have a Savior who suffered and died for them.  He is teaching them that because of our loving Father in Heaven and His Son, Jesus Christ, families can truly be together forever.

Love you, Elder Ogden!  Keep up the amazing work!  



No comments:

Post a Comment