Monday, May 28, 2018

First Full Week in Zhudong


P-Day in Xinzhu
Hello everyone!

So this week started off a little weird because I was sick and kind of in a daze for a few days, but everything turned out great anyway, and Heavenly Father definitely showed me again that His work will get done whether I'm at my best or not even really comprehending what's going on in the world around me haha.

On PDay we went to Xinzhu city and found a taco store with some solid Taco Bell-level tacos, so that was a good find in Taiwan, I guess.  Then we went to play frisbee on a soccer field. It was insanely hot, I ended up pouring cold water over myself and it literally made no difference other than cooling me off because I was already so soaked with sweat. That part wasn't so fun but the frisbee was. Our investigator, 徐弟兄- Brother Xu, who is getting baptized this Saturday also came to play with us, so that was great to hang out with him.


"The hot pot was spicy Kim chi and it was really good until you got past the meat and good veggies and bean noodles. The "see you tomorrow" (míng tīan jiàn) mushrooms are just ok and the fish balls and duck blood are a no no haha."

This week we had to pretty sick miracles: first we were at a park watching some old guys play Chinese chess, and one guy just came up to us, examined our name tags, and introduced himself as Alexander. He then pulled out a letter from a missionary almost ten years ago and started talking to us about how he's run into missionaries several times for 40 years but hasn't been able to be baptized yet. He invited us to his hundred year old house buried within the collection of buildings next to us, and we had a really nice conversation.  He told us he loves Jesus and wants to know how He can change his life and help him quit smoking! So he's awesome.

The next day we had just gotten stood up for a lesson at the chapel when a lady showed up and told us she was looking for a "suitable"church.  We told her about the Restoration and Joseph Smith's experience and she thought it was all great and was willing to read the Book of Mormon and learn for herself if it is true. She was super happy and I could tell she felt the spirit, so that was pretty great too!

We were also able to meet with Alexander last night, and we shared about developing faith and hope, and using the gospel to heal his heart and mind and clean out the addiction.  When we got there he had already read the passage [in the Book of Mormon] we invited him to read and marked up a bunch of stuff he liked.  We talked to him a little about who God is and our relationship with Him.  Alexander said the knowledge that he is a child of God makes him feel very proud. He's such a great guy.

This Saturday, we're getting ready for 徐弟兄- Brother Xu's baptism! That's going to be a great experience I'm excited to see him take that step and I'm thankful for the small part I've been able to play in his conversion!

This week I'd say I definitely learned even more that focusing on others needs actually ends up taking care of mine as well, better than if I was just focusing on myself. Whether it be in studies or in everyday life, throwing myself into the natural necessity of focusing on other's needs does more for my mood than much anything else. It's pretty sick. I would highly recommend if you're feeling sick or just down in the dumps, to go throw yourself into the service of others for a bit and see what happens!

I know that God lives and guides this work, and He's anxious to guide our lives too. Hope you guys have a fantastic week!
Elder Ogden

Elder Joshua Ogden
Missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints
武忠樂長老
耶穌基督後期聖徒教會的傳教

"Next level 7-11"




"My princess bed"

"View from the train"

"View from our apartment"

"I thought it was cool how it just focused on the stain on the window and blurred out the background.  Maybe that's just me."

No comments:

Post a Comment